Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusemail

Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Was Never A Boy Scout

The Boy Scouts of America, after a two-year review, reaffirmed its stance on excluding gays. The Scouts' national spokesman, Deron Smith, told The Associated Press that an 11-member special committee, formed discreetly by top Scout leaders in 2010, came to the conclusion that the exclusion policy "is absolutely the best policy" for the 102-year-old organization.

I should probably point out that I was never a boy scout. My family couldn't afford the fees and the equipment, but I also know that in a world that is becoming more and more divided in regards to gay rights, this is a real issue.

I knew I was gay from the time I was about 6 years old. I just knew I was different. It wasn't easy. I was the sissy in most cases. My dad wasn't really in the picture, and so I was called mama's boy in top of that. What I needed was a good, positive gay role model. I think, to a point, we've become more accepting of "gay" in today's society. It's just a shame that the Boy Scouts of America are choosing to blatantly teach intolerance.

I'm picturing the meeting where they decided this hatred. They were all probably sitting around a big cushy table slurping down lemonade and eating those Chick-fil-A sandwiches.

0 comments:

Post a Comment